Already registered? Login here.
RPs? In MY G?
Galadoria Online > Discussion Lobby > Component Online RPG's

Nirkit
  A Series of Tubes  

Identity #: 28

#1 Old 01-26-2011, 01:58 AM
Default RPs? In MY G?

So since it seems a lot of the time like there's only about 5 of us kicking around on the site these days, and more often than not it was our (root 8)* of RPGs that brought us together, I was wondering if ya'll would like to RP in a less formal setting than the regular one that the site's, ya know, here for and named after. This thread shall serve as a setting-up point, another thread as our stage, and this hawthorne-brake our tiring house*.

Here's the setup: It's the year 21XX and you live in a colony on Mercury. Your home is a city on wheels, with about 1 million people living underneath a giant dome. The dome that protects you from the dangers of living on Mercury (ya know, the heat, radiation, lack of oxygen, etc.) has a solar panel on top of it, larger than the dome itself, powering all the services that it provides you, along with moving the city so that it stays under the sun.

The city only leaves the sun for one day every synodic period (116 days) so that you can receive transmissions from Earth, and the city only holds enough charge to keep you all happy, comfortable, and alive for roughly 24 hours when you're not under the sun.

Alignment Day is a holiday on Mercury, and everyone is given the day off to talk to friends and family back on Earth. Meanwhile, the city's computers download the last 116 days' worth of news, to be shown in real time on the city's various news networks until the next Alignment day.

On the most recent Alignment day, no transmissions were sent by anyone on Earth. The Mercury City computer received 112 days of relatively banal news, and 4 days' worth of static.

The game starts not long after Alignment Day. Tell me whatever you want about your character. I'll start the game at some point not long after 3 people have said they're in. More will be welcome of course. I just want to make sure there's some level of interest before I actually start it.

* - If you get this, you get a cookie.

Last edited by Nirkit; 01-26-2011 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Apparently SOMEONE is a bonafide astrophysicist. :P

Hawkers
  Curb Stomper of Kittens  

Identity #: 3902

#2 Old 01-26-2011, 03:21 AM
"If Mercury isn't perfectly between the Sun and Earth, the Sun's gravity makes it unnecessarily difficult to send transmissions."

^Delete that line and I'm interested.

Genocide - When one just isn't enough.

"That's almost as funny as when Anus got the hamster stuck in his mouth."

Nirkit
  A Series of Tubes  

#3 Old 01-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Ha, why? That caveat is important to the setup of the plot, won't play much of a role in the game at all, and my limited knowledge of physics makes it seem reasonable.

Light, Radio, and whatever else we might use to send information over long distances quickly are electromagnetic waves that travel at similar speeds. Light waves can be affected by gravity, so why wouldn't Radio/whatever? Mercury is hella small compared to the sun, and it's really close, so the Sun's gravity would be relatively overpowering. I'd originally written that it would happen twice every synodic period, when the Earth, Sun, and Mercury form a right triangle with the E-S line as the hypotenuse, since the Earthlings could aim their transmissions a little to the other side of Mercury and have them be arced/bent into their recipient. But then I thought it'd be more dramatic if it was a longer period of time and it'd make a little more sense if Mercury had to be between the other two, so no arcing had to be done at all.

Hawkers
  Curb Stomper of Kittens  

#4 Old 01-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Haha, well then, as a physicist who specializes in relativity, particle, and astrophysics (I work in Dark Matter detection, and this happens to be one of our tools), let me impart a hopefully easy to understand and enjoyable short lesson.

All electromagnetic radiation does not just travel at similar speeds, but instead at the exact same speed (just shy of 300,000,000 meters per second). And yes, all of light is effected by gravity. However, in order to get enough of a gravitational effect to create even the smallest amount of bending (better known as gravitational lensing), you need an entire galaxy (that's composed of ~100 billion stars), and even then you only get about an arcsecond of lensing (it's path changes by about 1/3600 of a degree).

For true, proper lensing effects, you need to look at an entire cluster of galaxies. These clusters are millions of light years away, and the images that they lense are galaxies that are on the order of billions of light years away. For some cool pictures, you should look up Einstein Rings, Einstein Cross, or just image search 'gravitational lensing' (in this last search, you'll be looking for the blue colored galaxies that appear around the central cluster, most of those blue galaxies are actually lensed images of the same galaxy).

I'm actually building a museum exhibit that will be on public display as of August, and one of the main displays is on gravitational lensing, lol.

Now, if you want to have disrupted communications, it will have to be for the duration of time where the Sun is between Mercury and Earth. It doesn't need exact alignment, just so long as you can't see one planet from the other because the Sun is in the way.

Nirkit
  A Series of Tubes  

#5 Old 01-26-2011, 03:19 PM
Interesting! I thought lensing required a lot less gravity than that. Consider the sentence removed, but Mercurians and Earthlings still only communicate with one another three times a year because of elfin magic.

Hawkers
  Curb Stomper of Kittens  

#6 Old 01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Hahaha, fair enough.

Bloody Wind
  口シアの熊  

Identity #: 70

#7 Old 01-28-2011, 12:41 AM
This is just what I want, which is not what I'll settle for but I thought it would be awesome! My characters name is Jennings Ferguson, reporter for Channel 1 news! the number 1 news network on mars. Constantly referring to himself in the third person Jennings was a top notch gymnast and actor back on earth but after his wife was implicated in a bestiality and child molestation case along with a New Jersey state cop, his career as the 19th gardener on the 2nd season of desperate house wives was ruined. Unable to reconcile with his wife he decided to leave the planet for better prospects. On Mercury where no one knows about his wife's scandalous behavior, Jennings found his home doing the news for ever keeping his dark secret.

How is that?

Hawkers
  Curb Stomper of Kittens  

#8 Old 01-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I'll make a character when the rp is made, cuz I'm lazy like that.

Nirkit
  A Series of Tubes  

#9 Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Fair enough. BW, you're all over the solar system, aren't you?

I just need 1 more person to join.....

And I realized yesterday that this should thread have been in the Role Play District but c'est la vie. If only I were still an RPO...

Bloody Wind
  口シアの熊  

Identity #: 70

#10 Old 02-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Someone really needs to join quick so we can do this shit! That ornwe should make it into a novel!

• Submit Thread to Digg Digg
  • Submit Thread to del.icio.us del.icio.us
  • Submit Thread to StumbleUpon StumbleUpon
  • Submit Thread to Google Google